Monday, October 20, 2008

Marginalia

Tonight as I watched the Denver Broncos get mauled by the Patriots, I decided to look for a new address book or notebook where I can keep track of my log-in and password information for the numerous social media, publisher, news, and book blog sites I now frequent, as well as maintain basic address information. I realize that we have computers and PDA's which are supposed to fill this need, but I recently lost all my data when my laptop hard drive and Treo died at the same time, and on that day I vowed to return to a paper system as a backup.

So after the 4th interception by the Patriots, I went to the Levenger site, which is always a fun place to window shop for the person who loves all types of accessories for reading and writing. I used to lovingly pour over these catalogs and make lengthy wish lists, although I must admit I rarely actually purchased anything.

Anyway, I found this interesting table of reader marks to help when making notes while reading.


Which brings up the everlasting question:

Do you like to make notes in your books as you read or are you someone who would never think of destroying the pristine page with some personal notations or reflections?

3 comments:

Sarah Rettger said...

I'll definitely underline if I find something good, and occasionally scribble questions in the margins. I'll have to work on making my marginalia more interesting!

Joni said...

Sarah,

I have always been a writing in the book person, because I save my books and my notes are a kind of journal that shows changes in my perspective as I go through life.

With the opening of Paragraphs, I am faced with a dilemma. If I mark in books it reduces their value or means I cannot resell them, and I need to change my attitude and be willing to sell my used books--I mean isn't that the purpose of having a neighborhood bookshop.

So, this is one more decision I face in opening a bookstore.

Sam said...

Me, if I like something - or am getting paid to review things - I use Post-A-Notes, stickies, or whatever. It is a sacrilege to spoil a very good book by writing on it. That's just silly old me.

Draft manuscripts, hehe, they're fair game and I'm pretty darn-tooting rough on the writer! One uses proofing marks for those. But rather than be too rough, I might use squiggely lines or a cloud box to indicate awkward writing, and write "Awk" in the margin.

As to writing in published books, some say that is a sign of true genius. Somebody did a study of Adolf Hitler's library and about his use of extensive marginalia, which was quite impressive. -sam