Thursday, June 26, 2008

My Love for Flowers





I have been fairly well-occupied with packing the last week and have not had a lot of time to enjoy the last of the early summer flowers on the farm. But I needn't worry because each day
Mother makes sure the house is filled with fragrant blooms essentially bringing the outdoors inside for me to experience. Her enjoyment of the gardens is a joy to watch and made me realize where I learned to love flowers.

The first time I visited Alasa Farms, was when I was still in college at Colorado State University, and Griff invited me to spend some time with him one summer. I still remember my wonder at having gardens filled with flowers, enough so that cutting some to be enjoyed indoors was not only possible but expected. It seemed a little like I was a character in a Jane Austen novel, cutting blossoms, carrying them to a garden sink, where a wonderful selection of vases were arrayed on the shelves above, just waiting to be selected.

This was a new experience for me since our Colorado gardens had always served a more practical purpose and were never abundant enough to allow for indiscriminate harvesting for indoor decoration. So I had never seen the joy my mother and I share for wandering through the gardens, basket and clippers in hand, selecting blooms that won't be missed but can still add such brightness to a bedroom or the kitchen. It is so much easier to do one's work when surrounded by the beauty of flowers.

Much later, when Griff and I were finally married (that is a story for another day) and I moved into the farmhouse, which I had visited all those years before, one of my greatest pleasures was the abundance of flowers for cutting and that is something I will miss.

3 comments:

lotto said...

The nice thing with this blog is, its very awsome when it comes to there topic.

berto xxx said...

nice blog isnt it?


berto xxx

lottery winning numbers said...

Whoever owns this blog, I would like to say that he has a great idea of choosing a topic.