Thursday, August 28, 2008

Bookstore and Politics - What Do You Think?

Robert Gray shares a discussion on his Fresh Eyes Now bookselling blog which examines the role of the neighborhood bookshop when it comes to political advocacy.

As those who have followed my blog may have noticed I have some trouble staying on topic and especially when it comes to politics. This may not have been an issue except that we have just been through a hard-fought primary season and are heading into what I predict to be a hotly-contested and at times vicious presidential race. The fact that Denver is hosting the Democratic National Convention and having the opportunity to experience the atmosphere and excitement around this convention which will become one of those occasions in history that becomes part of the American experience has made it hard for me to keep from "blogging the convention".

The debate in Gray's blog is a reflection on the debate I have been having with myself as I have wanted to write about the convention but was afraid of possibly offending or alienating my future customers. This is more of a problem now, because people have not had the opportunity to actually get to know me and I don't want to make the wrong first impression.

But, I am interested in the general question about the role a bookstore plays in the community. One of my core beliefs and reasons for wanting to be a bookseller is the concept that books and those places where readers congregate provide the fodder and environment for us to discover, digest, discuss and debate the ideas which shape the quality of our lives. Many of these ideas ultimately end up with politics.

So here are the questions asked by Robert Gray but rephrased to you my customer and readers. Let me know what you think.
Is a community bookstore a neutral corner or an advocacy center?

Can there be a, well, "third place" between the two when it comes to politics?

What type of political sidelines or books would you find appropriate? Do the political books a bookstore carries affect your comfort level or willingness to shop in that store.

What do you expect from your bookstore? If you sensed a spirit of advocacy would you feel excluded or offended?

If the store provided a venue where there could be a free and spirited exchange of ideas, would you be offended, feel excluded or appreciate the possibility to engage in intellectual thought and discussion?

Powered by ScribeFire.

2 comments:

Rob Nixon said...

Is a community bookstore a neutral corner or an advocacy center?

I believe being an advocacy center does not necessarily make the bookstore a political lightning rod.

Can there be a, well, "third place" between the two when it comes to politics?

Sure. By supporting issues that are for the good of the community, of course that could be matter of opinion, and by fairly representing both sides of that issue, I believe you could avoid being caught in the political trap.

What type of political sidelines or books would you find appropriate? Do the political books a bookstore carries affect your comfort level or willingness to shop in that store.

It is my personal opinion that a bookstore's purpose is to do it's best to provide resources that all people in the community can use. That would be political opinion from all sides. Any reasonable person should not be offended if the store carries books that they do not personally support or agree with because a well rounded store would attempt to carry a representation of all sides of the issues. For every "crazy outrageous" book Anne Coulter writes there should be a "crazy outrageous" book by Maurene Dowd. After all, these are opinions and everyone is entitled to them.

What do you expect from your bookstore? If you sensed a spirit of advocacy would you feel excluded or offended?

No, although I hope that Paragraphs would become a retail member of the Surfrider Foundation;)

If the store provided a venue where there could be a free and spirited exchange of ideas, would you be offended, feel excluded or appreciate the possibility to engage in intellectual thought and discussion?

I think it would be an unbelievable asset to the community if Paragraphs offered a neutral ground for the free exchange of ideas and opinions!


You are going to carry fiction too, right?

Joni said...

Rob,
OF course I am going to carry fiction. Didn't mean to suggest life is all about serious topics and discussion. There is too much enjoyment in reading to restrict oneself to non-fiction or serious literature.

I will plan on supporting Surfrider Foundation and look forward to providing a possible venue for increasing awareness and education on issues important to the sustainable use of our beaches and coastal waters.

Thanks for your response. You have validated what I believe. When there are local issues that seriously effect the community (like those addressed by Surfrider Foundation) I would like to think Paragraphs could act as an advocacy center and support positions that are clearly in the best interest of our little sandbar.

Beyond that, my goal is to provide a neutral ground, where all opinions are equally respected because I think it is good for all of us to occasionally challenge our personal assumptions and our way of looking at the world.

Likewise, I plan to stock titles on both sides of the political, spectrum - even though I generally find the writing in these polemic rants lacking in substance though not in humor.

I am looking forward to actually opening the doors!!