Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Becoming an Islander

I know it will be a while before my residence is finished and I have a lot of things to do before making my life on the island permanent - I have taken a couple of steps which make me feel more like this is "home".

The United States Postal Service has confirmed that I am enough of a resident to rent a PO Box. The gentleman at the post office could not have been more helpful, and he has remembered me the few times I have been in to ask questions or pick up mail. Two forms of ID and proof of land ownership took care of getting a box assigned to me and now I can receive mail at a real address instead of c/o the La Quinta. I imagine the desk clerks here will be glad of this change, too.

In the interest of becoming part of the small business community on the island I have also become a member of the South Padre Island Chamber of Commerce. From what I have seen so far this is a very active organization and I look forward to supporting them in some of their projects.

Especially exciting is their willingness to help me with a "groundbreaking ceremony". The publicity will be great in continuing to build public interest in the future opening of a general interest bookstore on the island.

Each day I try to make a little progress. October is not very far away, especially according to Padre time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the Island! Start sportin' your flip flops!

~ Melissa Zamora
Communications Director
South Padre Island Convention and Visitors Bureau
761-3005

Anonymous said...

Melissa,

Glad to be here and even have new Croc flip flops from Ship Shape.

I'll look forward to working with you.

Joni

mustlovespi said...

WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME! Your store is long in coming and my family of readers are ecstatic … We certainly will not miss the trips to the bookstore in McAllen. I enjoyed our lunch yesterday and look forward to many more!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the welcome. I also enjoyed our lunch and continue to be amazed at how welcoming this community is.

I must admit I am impatient to make the move to permanent resident.

Joni